I am an Assistant Professor in Applied Linguistics at Cyprus University of Technology (CUT), Lemesos (Limassol) Cyprus.
I am the Director of the CUT Language Centre (LC).
Main research Interests
My research focus is in the general area of Applied Linguistics (AL).
More specifically my research interests are in the specific AL areas of:
1. Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL)
- CALL Teacher Education & Training
- CALL practices locally and globally; at primary and secondary level, in language learning for general purposes
- CALL in Language for Specific Academic Purposes contexts at Tertiary Level
- Computer Assisted Language Assessment and Testing (CALAT)
- CALL Theory
3. Second Language (L2) Assessment and Testing, printed and digital
4. L2 Teacher Education and Training (Second and Foreign Language), onsite & online delivery, Pre- and In- Service, Masters and PhD Level
Related areas of interest
5. Intercultural Education in L2 Learning and Teacher Education
6. Language Centres
Other research interest
7. Limassol Oral History
- a BA in French from the National and Kapodestrian University of Athens, Greece,
- a Diploma in Education (Teaching Greek and French as Second/Foreign Languages),
- a Graduate Certificate in Education (Teaching English as a Second Language) and
- a Master in Education (Curriculum Evaluation, Development and Implementation: New Curriculum to Adolescent Second Language Learners of Greek in Australia from La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia,
- a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) from The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia,
- a Master of Letters (French Literature: La Polyvalence du theme de la femme dans 'Les Fleurs du Mal' de Charles Baudelaire), from The University of New England, New South wales, Australia, and
- a Doctorate in Professional Studies (Applied Linguistics - English Language Online Testing) from Middlesex University.
After my undergraduate studies in Athens, Greece, I lived in Melbourne Australia for 23 years. There I did postgraduate studies in various fields, I taught French, Greek and Italian for many years in different government high schools, I worked as a language learning materials development for the Department of Education of Victoria, the Ministry of Education of Greece, CIS Heinemann and Jacaranda Publications, John Wiley & Sons, Australia, and I worked at La Trobe University and RMIT University where I taught Teaching Languages Methodologies and Computer Assisted Language Learning.
When I returned to Cyprus in 2002, I first worked at Intercollege in Limassol, then at Intercollege and the University of Nicosia in Nicosia.
In 2010 I was appointed at the Cyprus University of Technology in Limassol.
Both in Cyprus and Australia I have been involved in language teaching, CALL, language teacher training & education, curriculum development, accreditation and evaluation and language examinations for the ministries of education.
I am an experienced and enthusiastic academic, lecturing master students with excellent feedback. I have actively set up new modules and teaching curricula at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, which are now successfully established and permanently adopted. Among others, these include the English for Communication and Internet Studies blended modules 1 & 2, the online MA in CALL programme, the online MA in CALL L2 Curriculum and Evaluation and L2 Assessment and Testing modules, and the English for Specific Purposes Teacher Education PhD programme.
I have also given talks and presentations to both academia and primary and secondary language practitioners. In addition, I have taken leadership and managerial roles in team projects and committees, such as
(a) the design, implementation and evaluation of the NEPTON test (New English Placement Test Online) for the University of Nicosia (2005), which is still used by the University,
(b) the LUCIDE Languages in Urban Communities - Integration and Diversity for Europe) project,
(c) the Createch Grundtvig project, Lifelong Learning Programme Grundtvig: Creativity – New Tech in Intercultural/Multilingual Education , and
(d) the Multilateral project Active Literacy: Competence and Understanding, Internally Naturalized (ALCUIN), Socrates Programme, Comenius 2.1 Action (Training of School Education practitioners).
I designed the Cyprus University of Technology (CUT) Language Centre (LC) programme and the CUT LC Research and Cooperative and Interactive Language Learning Centre (ReCILLC). I also organised and chaired international conferences such as the EuroCALL2016 conference.
I have extensive experience in Australia and Cyprus in language teaching (Greek, English, French, Italian) at both secondary (Melton, Lalor and Eltham High Schools) and tertiary (La Trobe, RMIT universities Australia, Intercollege, University of Nicosia and Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus) levels, L2 Curriculum Development and Evaluation (Voilà 1 & 2, Jacaranda Publications, Ça Alors, CIS-Heinemann, Ελληνικά, γιατί όχι; [Greek, why not?] E.DIA.M.ME.) and Assessment and Testing (The New English Placement Test Online: NEPTON), printed and electronic, the use of CALL in blended learning, as well as in L2 Teacher Education (the online MA in CALL), onsite and online, using cutting edge methods and technologies.
My aims are to continue Excellence in L2 teaching, curriculum development, CALL L2 assessment and testing, L2 teacher education. I would like to continue to play a leading in those areas, both at my university and nationally. I would like to continue to be active in research and research projects in those areas.
CUT LC staff page
My travel map as of June 2018, created with Maploco (goo.gl/wCTgfM). Countries visited to date are highlighted in blue.